Taha’a Vanilla Cupcakes
Tahitian vanilla is considered amongst the best in the world for its incredible flavour, and nearly 80 percent of it comes from the little known island of Taha’a. Known as The Vanilla Island, Taha’a actually smells like vanilla due to its abundance.
Make them yourself with Kirsten Tibbals’ recipe below as seen on the Today Show, or if you want to experience the vanilla island for yourself then check out specials here
- 155g plain flour
- ½ teaspoon Baking Powder
- 3 free range eggs
- 155g brown sugar
- 200ml Bulla Crème Fraiche
- 60g unsalted butter
- Oil spray
- 2 Tahitian vanilla beans
Vanilla cream topping
- 4 Tahitian Vanilla Beans
- 300g pure icing sugar
- 195g unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons Bulla Pure Cream
- pinch sea salt
Yield: 12 cupcakes
For the cupcakes:
- Cut out 12cm x 12cm squares of baking paper.
- Grease the muffin tin with an oil spray and press each paper square into the tin.
- Sift the flour and baking powder into a bowl and set aside.
- Mix the eggs and sugar together in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, until you have created a light foam.
- Use a spatula to fold through the sieved dry ingredients, followed by the crème fraiche.
- Melt the butter and fold it through the mixture.
- Divide the cake batter into each cup of the muffin tin lined with the baking paper squares. Each cup requires approximately 60g.
- Bake at 170°C for 15-8 minutes.
- Remove the cupcakes and set them on a cooling rack to cool completely. Turn the oven off.
- Cut the Tahitian vanilla beans in half and scrape out the seeds. Place the pods in the oven once you turn it off after baking the muffins. When the pods are completely dried out, place them in an airtight container as they will be used as a garnish later.
For the vanilla cream topping:
- Cut the Tahitian vanilla beans in half and scrape out the seeds.
- Sieve the icing sugar into a bowl.
- Beat the butter, cut and scraped Tahitian vanilla beans and sieved icing sugar in the bowl of a KitchenAid Stand Mixer until light and creamy.
- Add in the fresh cream and salt.
- Transfer the mixture to a piping bag fitted with a large star piping nozzle.
- Pipe the icing directly onto the cupcakes.
- Using a fine grater, grate the dried vanilla pods from earlier onto the icing.